Chapter 23

        

“Come on then let’s wrap this up,” Mike said talking to the other three.

Andy turned to Mike and said, “No hard feelings. No one got really hurt, did they? Eddie gave me a bit of a thumping but I’m used to that in my line of work.”

Andy turned to Mike and said, “No hard feelings. No one got really hurt, did they? Eddie gave me a bit of a thumping but I’m used to that in my line of work.”

Mike said, “No I suppose not. It all seems to have worked out quite well. Are you going back to London today or will you be hanging about a bit?”

“No, I'm off. I’ve a Friday night girl to find and a lobster dinner to treat her to. Then a few days of relaxation if you know what I mean.”

“Why a Friday night girl when it’s a Monday.”

“She’s someone I met on a Friday night a while back so she’s a Friday girl. Her name’s Peta and she’s Spanish. She’s nice and I know where she’ll be. I think. Anyway I treat her right and I’m going to treat her better. There’s a good connection there so maybe….”

“Do you have girls for every day of the week then?” said Eddie, “If you do tell me the secret.”

“No just Peta. remember the family code. Respect women and treat them right. That includes two timing in my book. Anyway I’m off so maybe see you around.”

“Perhaps but it’s doubtful. By the way you should do something with that gun before someone gets hurt” said Mike.

“I know. It’s going in the river when I leave here.”


As they were getting into the car Amy said, “He’s not such a bad fella, Is he?”

“For a crook he’s honest which is a bit of a funny one.” said Mike.

“Ironic is the word I think you’ll find.”

“So you don’t like a smartass or so I’m told but don’t mind being one. Is that it? 

“Ha Ha let's get going. I’m hungry and we’re in danger of missing lunch.”

Jane and Amy got into the back and Jane opened one of the pouches and poured a few of the diamonds into her hand. I don’t know much about these but they look pretty good. Do you know anything about them Mike?”

“Nothing but I know a man who does who’ll be discreet. We can get them valued then see what you want to do with them. What I do know is that over the last few years the price of diamonds has risen sharply so you might get a nice surprise.”

“Any guesses on their value?”

“Not really. Six figures for sure though.”

“In that case you had better have this pouch Amy. We’ll put them in the safe when we’re in the hotel. I tell you what though it makes me nervous carrying them around.”

Eddie was in the driver's seat and turned the engine on and accelerated down the road taking a left at the end that would take them back to the front and The Grand. He said, “Thanks for agreeing to that deal. Getting that package back is a big deal for us….Back to the hotel for something to eat, then an afternoon relaxing?”

“That’s good for me,” said Amy. “Like I said, I'm famished.”


It was nearly five o’clock by the time they had finished lunch and the second bottle of champagne. Jane said, “Amy and I are going up to get changed. Shall we meet you in the bar around 7.30?”

“Sure we’ll be here,” said Mike. 

“When they had gone Eddie said, “everything was alright last night?”

“Yeah, just fine. She’s a great lady. I think we’ll get on real well. What about you and Gary?”

“I sorted him out. Got him to promise to phone his son. Cost me a lost three hours of my life though and a bit of a head this morning.”

“You didn’t mention anything about buying the hotel?”

“Not really. Just went through the motions. Asked a few questions. When he wanted to be out by. That sort of thing. I suppose that’s all back on now that we’re likely to get paid.”

“Definitely. I think tomorrow we drive to London and set up a meeting before the end of the week. The sooner we seal our deal the better. That will be our last?”

“Yeah as far as I am concerned after that’s all done I’m becoming a hotelier. You happy with that?”

“Sure just don’t know how Amy will fit in”

“She will don’t worry about that. I think she’ll be quite keen to get involved.”

“You happy to have her there?”

“No problem with me. I like her. We get on just fine.”

“OK then it’s a yes from me unless Amy’s not keen then I’ll be thinking again.”

“Well they are here until the end of the week then we can all meet up in London. By then our deal will be sorted. I would think if all goes well we’ll be moving down here in about two months.”


Jane came out of her shower and there was a knock on the door. Amy was standing there all ready to go.

“That was quick,” Jane said.

“I operate like an express train when I want to talk.” She was standing in the middle of the room with her hands clasped in front of her. Then brushed her hair from her face and sighed.” 

“Oh sit down will you. On the bed will do….Go on then….talk…. while I get ready. It must be something important for you to keep quiet for that long.”

“Are you sure you’re happy with giving me the diamonds? All of a sudden I feel guilty.”

“Don’t be silly of course I am. You read the letter in the box. Half was Franks and he left all his stuff to your grandmother. What did the note say, ....’or their heirs’. That’s you and me.”

“Yes I know all that but I did kind of gate crash, didn’t I?”

“Sure you did but you had your reasons. I won’t hear anymore of this. They’re yours and that’s that. Now what about you and Mike? That’s the most important thing.”

“He’s great. You know he’s just so gentle and kind. Nothing like any man I’ve been involved with. I really understand him. You know what you said about his nightmares. Well he had one last night. It woke me up. He didn’t wake. He didn’t get that far. I soothed him and he calmed down. In the morning he said he had the best night’s sleep for a long time. Now I take that as a real compliment. What do you think?”

“I think you need him as much as he needs you. He’ll be good for you and I think you need someone to care for. That’s what you’re good at. From what you have said it sounds like all the men you’ve been involved with didn’t need you. Mike’s different, isn’t he? He needs someone who can care for him and help him and that’s you. You know with them getting their deal completed they’ll be buying that hotel, don’t you? Are you OK with that?”

“Sure I am. It’ll be fun. I’ll really like living down here.”

“What about Eddie?”

“Oh he’s no problem. I really like him. And I’m sure we’ll get on just fine.”

“OK then if you’ve no more worries. I’m ready. Let’s go.”


They were all sitting in the bar with early evening cocktails with Mike saying, “So you two have got everything sorted out?”

Jane said, “yes and we’re both happy with the result. We’re going to spend the rest of the week searching for where our grandmother’s lived and also tomorrow’s the 27th and I’m having a toast as a remembrance for my grandfather. I’m going to tidy up David Duncan’s grave as well. What about you two?”

“Tomorrow we’re going to London to conclude things with our clients. Then we’ll be getting on with buying the hotel and making all the arrangements for renovations and alterations. We’re going to do a complete refurb.”

Amy said, “Mike and I will meet up in London at the weekend and sort out the way forward for us. That’s pretty simple though. We’ll just be deciding where we’ll live until the hotel is ready. What about you Jane?”

“I’m planning to get back to my sports people. I’ve a few ideas on how to expand the business now that I’ve finance available.”

“Well that's it,” said Eddie, “here’s to happy days,”

“And to our grandfathers,” said Jane looking at Amy, “And the tide really did come in and the wind must’ve changed because our luck did change.”

Mike said, “what's all the tide and wind stuff then?“

“Nothing much. I’ll tell you sometime,” said Amy.

“And by the way I’m not joining you for dinner. I’ve an appointment with a lovely reception lady called Clare.” said Eddie who smiled, stood up and wandered over to the door where a good looking lady was waiting.







 

 


   

      


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 9

Chapter 1

Chapter 2