Chapter 6


“So there’s no ooh la la’s for you then. I knew it. I just knew it. Last night when we was talking. I just knew she was your all time girl. All that ooh la la talk. What crap….and a kid on the way.” Frank was sitting at the mess table pushing his empty plate about all smeared with tomato sauce and spaghetti bits. The smell in there was unmistakable. A mixture of mass cooked food and closely packed sweat soaked men sitting on long wooden benches. He was sitting all casual, kind of slouching with his shoulders hanging loose and smiling. He lifted his head and laughed a long, loud one, “Old Dave,” he said, “getting hitched. Who’d ‘ave thought it.”

“And what’re you all so happy about today? I know, I bet you've made up with Lucy. That’s it, isn’t it? You’ve made up….You give him a spanking?”

“Nope. Just a Frankie slap. A real hard one. Just to put him in his place.”

“So it’s all good then?”

“It’s all good.”

“Lucky I stopped you killing him then, wasn’t it?”

“That was just the drink talking….”

“Yeah, yeah. Don’t give me that. You were all set and about to kick off.”

“Yeah well….I can change my mind, can’t I?”

“No problem with that. So what’s the story there then?”

“Like you said last night. We’re gonna see how it all pans out. Then we’ll see. But I like her Dave. I like her real good.”

“You’ll be my best man and Lucy a witness?” said Dave with the biggest smile on his face.

“No need to ask. It’s a given. When.”

“Next Saturday. It’s Suzie’s birthday….”

“Nice touch. A real swell present.”

“Yeah and you know what? I wanna get married real bad now. See this war out then settle down. Look after her real good. And the kids….”

“Oh it’s kids now is it. Suzie know about that?”

“Sure we’ve talked it over and we’ll have more. Live by the sea. Yeah we wanna live by the sea so we can go on the beach. Like I did with my dad and talk the day away.”

“Sounds great Dave. You’ve got a neat plan there and you’ll have some real dough to get started, eh?”

“You’re right and I’ve been thinking about our stash. It’s no good until after the war. Then we’ll need it to start a life. Both of us. You with Lucy maybe. We could live next door and be partners in….what d’you think we could be partners in? What would be a good business?”

“How’s about a gas station that would be a real laugh eh. Fuel robbers buy gas station with the proceeds. What a headline that’d be.”

“Yeah it sure would but we need someplace to hide it.”

“I’ve still got the upfront payment. You want to add that to the stash?”

“No. We’ll keep that separate. When we leave we’ll split it between the girls. You OK with that?”

“Sure no problem. What about those two loads? We gonna set them up?”

“The way I see it….That up-front payment is the same as all the others we’ve had so it’s like getting in the last load we talked about. We’re shipping out soon so no problem keeping our heads down. We’ve two weeks before they’ll be after us. So plenty of time to get things sorted. You heard that fella with the knife. What he said about sniffing out diamonds. They’re gonna hit us for sure. Probably at the last drop-off. Then those Bobs will go to work and make us talk. They’ll get it all back alright. Why else did they come all the way from London? The local boys could’ve handled the loads just the same as always. They wanted to check us out, that's why. Nah… this has the makings of a one way deal. We walk while we still can. What d’you think?”

“I think you’ve got it just about right as always. We’ll struggle with a double load anyway. Things are tightening up. A sign, like you said last night, that we’re about to ship out.”

“I’ll sort out a hiding place for the stash. It’s gotta be good in case we have a problem but easy to get at when we get back.”

“Why not give them to Suzie? She’d keep them safe.”

“She would but what about Mack or his buddies? He’d soon be onto her. No, we can’t leave them with anyone, it's just too risky. And dangerous for them. We won’t be able to tell anyone where they are for the same reason. This has to be good. I’ll sort something and let you know. At the moment I’m thinking buried treasure.”

“What with pirates and stuff and a map.”

“Yeah something like that but maybe not quite so Errol Flynn.”


Getting a special pass for the weekend was no problem. The steps to the registry office were long and grey. Inside was just as grey. A drab place with a few attempts to brighten it up. Suzie’s bright blue dress stood out and her mum’s cream outfit looked real smart. Nothing new. Just cleaned and pressed. And some flowers. A bunch of colour in a plain glass vase. Red curtains. Red patterned carpet. Dark brown desk with a red leather top. Everything was grey and red.

The registrar was a cheerful man in a light grey suit and white shirt and red tie who spoke with a bit of a posh voice. One of those radio type of voices. Suzie fiddled a lot. Kept talking to Lucy while they waited, talking quickly about nothing important. Then got up. Then sat back down. Walked about and sat down again. At one point Lucy said, “For goodness sake will you just relax?” Then the registrar was ready and Dave and Suzie were side by side and Suzie settled down and said all the words with a slightly shaking quiet voice. Dave stood tall and straight but said the words with a soft voice all the time looking at Suzie who just kept smiling. Suzie’s mum cried. Lucy cried into a white handkerchief and Frank grinned. The registrar took a photo of them all together then outside they took photos of each other. One with just Dave and Suzie and one with the four of them then with Suzie’s mum.

Suzie was spinning round grabbing Dave and hugging him. Her mum had some rice and threw it about. She kissed her mum and kissed Frank and hugged Lucy. Posed for a picture with her hair thrown back. Head tilted and back a bit. Then laughed. Then cried. Then they all went down the pub. Pie and mash with that crunchy pastry that split with a knife and the gravy oozed out with lumps of meat with that fantastic beef pie smell. Cabbage done the proper way. Steamed. And of course carrots. All a luxury for sure. Dave had supplied the meat. A present from the mess sergeant and the chef at the pub had done a great job. Enough for them and all the staff. And of course a few pints of best. A fresh barrel with a tall pure white foaming head and smelling hoppy.

Suzie said to Dave, “I missed my dad. He should’ve been here. Four years now since he left us and I still miss him. You’d have liked him and he’d have liked you. A lot. I know he would. He would’ve said something like, ‘You bloody Yanks you come over here and nick everything including the women,’ then he’d have laughed and you’d have gone down the pub played darts and got drunk.” 

Dave had smiled and said he would have liked to have met him and the thought of her father had given him an idea. A very appropriate idea.


The next day Dave said to Suzie, “I can’t see you this week. I can’t say why. Secrets and all that stuff. But I’ll be round next weekend and can stay over.” 

Suzie said, “I understand Dave. You’ve got to do what you came here for. But just come back. That’s all I ask. That you just come back.”


It was dark on the night 27th of April, on the Thursday after they were married. They had embarked onto one of the tank landing ships that had pulled out of the harbour and headed out to sea off the coast in front of Slapton Sands. Frank and Dave were hanging onto the rail as the ship rolled on the swell. Ships were lining up off the coast. The manoeuvres were part of Exercise Tiger, a rehearsal for the landing on Omaha beach with ships full of men waiting to assault the beaches that were chosen as being representative of the Normandy ones.

“It’s sure dark out here,” said Frank, “What time is it?”

“About 01.30 I’d guess and yeah it’s dark and cold,” said Dave pulling his jacket tight.

“What’s it like being a married man then?” said Frank with a grin.

“Oh great….what d’you think we had only two nights then we’re stuck out here. What about Lucy and you?”

“Yeah we’re great and got it together. She’s changed though. I think she might’ve needed to try something else to make sure. So maybe……You hear that? Sounds like powerful motors. Coming this way at high speed.”

“Nope. You must’ve the best pair of ears I know….Wait, I hear it now coming this way real quick.” Other men were looking around trying to pin the source of the sound.

“Yeah and sounding outta place. They ain’t our motors. We need to….” 

Suddenly from out of the darkness a German E-boat appeared. Travelling fast. Cutting through the waves. Sending up large white plumes of spray over its bows. Suddenly they were engulfed in loud explosions that rocked the boat as a torpedo struck. The ship shuddered. Fire and explosions from below decks. The ship was strafed with machine gun fire. Bullets ricocheting off the metal bulkheads. Zinging around. A continuous stream sweeping the deck. Men were falling. Screaming. Dave spun round the force of a hit knocking him off his feet. He went down. Silently. Frank yelled, “Dave,” and tried to get to him but the ship suddenly rocked. Part of its side was blown away. Flames were leaping. Water rushing in. It was sinking. Men were in the water. They struggled. They were in full combat gear and their life vests were badly fitting. 

The rescue operation was slow. Too slow for many. Too early in the year for the water to have lost much of its winter cold. Hypothermia, their heavy packs and boots pulling them down. Their life vests inadequate. There was a disaster unfolding where no disaster had been expected. The tide was in and the wind had changed and Dave's luck changed and like it did when he was a kid. It changed to bad.


A week later Frank was sitting in the front room with Suzie with tears rolling down her face. She was shaking and fiddling with her handkerchief that she kept wiping across her nose and face. Her eyes were red and her face puffed but she had managed to stop sobbing and was listening to what Frank was saying.  

“He’s being buried in the war cemetery at Cambridge and you’ll be able to go if you want. They’ll let you know when….I’m so sorry Suzie. There was nothing I could do. I tried to get to him but the ship was going down,” he said and she could feel the guilt in his voice as he tried to keep the trembling from taking over, “This is all hush hush and I’m not supposed to say anything. But I’m gonna tell you anyway. The attack came out of nowhere. Just so sudden there was no time to react. The ship was struck and started to sink. Going down real quick. Dave was hit by a bullet. They were flying everywhere. It was over quick and I was in the sea. It was real cold but I was lucky and got hauled out quite quickly onto one of the ship's boats. They got Dave as well but….it was too late. At least the water didn’t get him. That’s something. It was instant….” His face was strained and he was talking very quietly. In almost a whisper. With a slight stutter. His hands were on his lap not knowing what to do with them. He was quiet for a few seconds composing himself, then said, “I’ve got his things here. You should have them. There’s not much. Some pay and a few personal bits….I dunno what to do Suzie. We was so close. We was just so close and I could do nothing. Nothing and it’s ripping me apart.” And she could see the big man had tears in his eyes and was shaking and his hands were wiping over his face and he said again, “There was just nothing I could do. I’m so sorry Suzie.”

“Oh Frank,” Suzie almost whispered. “Oh Frank,” she said again touching his face, wiping the tears, “He was so happy, just so happy,” was all she could say and he grabbed her and hugged her as she dissolved into a fit of sobbing. Holding her tightly. Letting her cry. Feeling her trembling. The tears flowing freely down his face.

A while later she pulled away, wiping the front of his shirt, “I’ve made you all damp,” she said.

“Don’t matter,” he said, wiping his hand across his face. He reached over and pulled a few strands of her hair from her face pushing them past her shoulder then giving her shoulder a gentle squeeze. “There’s things I gotta tell you. Important things. We were on a rehearsal for a beach landing so I’ll be shipping out anytime soon so I’ve got to do this now or I won’t have another opportunity. You OK to listen?” And Suzie just nodded. “You know we was involved in the thing with the petrol,” and she nodded again, “well we have a stash for after the war. Dave’s hidden it. He told me he would show me where after the exercise but….Well I don’t know where it is. There were these two envelopes with his stuff. One with your name and one with Lucy’s. I think they might be instructions but I don’t know. If I get back in one piece we’ll look and find the stuff. His half is yours. No question. If I don’t get back well….that’ll be all up to you then, won’t it. Another thing. We got an upfront payment for the last load that we weren’t gonna do. I can’t take it with me so I’m giving you half and Lucy half. It was half Dave’s so now it’s yours. We agreed Dave and me that this was what we’d do. Again no question. It’s quite a bit of dough so it’ll help you bring up the kid.”

Suzie started to say, “but Frank….”

“There ain’t no buts with this Suzie I’m serious. Like I said there’s no question. It’s yours. One thing. Those London fellas might come looking so you need to be careful. With Dave gone and me away hopefully they'll let it go. At least until I get back. But don’t sell any diamonds straight away. Leave it for a few years if possible. Let all the heat die down. When I get back we’ll sort it out. I dunno, maybe we’ll all go get lost in the States. But I ain’t no good at thinking. That was Dave’s job. I was just the muscle man.”

“You were more than that Frank and you know it. Dave might have done the thinking but he always asked you, didn’t he. He always wanted your opinion.”

“I know. I’m just being dumb, ain’t I? Well I’m off to Lucy’s now. From now I’m staying on the base until I ship out. So take care of yourself and I’ll be seeing ya.”


About four weeks later at dawn the landing craft were bouncing over choppy water heading towards Omaha beach. Full of men. Nervous men. Frightened men. The NCO’s keeping them calm. At least trying to. Then getting them set. Ready to unload. The shore batteries pounded them. Explosions all around sending up tall plumes of water. Machine gun fire sent streams of bullets sweeping the beach. Bouncing off metal and thudding into flesh. A hail storm of death. The landing craft ramps were dropped and the men poured out yelling, screaming and then dying.  

Frank Anderson was in the second wave. He was shouting at his men. Telling them to be ready. Telling them to clear the boat and spread out real quick. Keep low, keep running, keep moving. Don’t stop, keep moving. A soldier next to him was crying but he was ready to go just the same. No more than a lad. Frank said to him, “stick with me.” They made it onto the beach. They sprinted up the sand. The kid was hit and went down yelling his leg bleeding. Instinctively Frank stopped. Picking him up he swung the lad over his shoulder and with his rifle in one hand and holding the kid tightly with the other he turned but had no time to continue the charge. He slumped under the weight of the kid as the two bullets hit him in the chest. One of the many thousands who ran through that hell and one of the many that did not make it off the sands. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 9

Chapter 1

Chapter 2