Chapter 21

 


Mavis was fussing around them. She had taken a shine to George. Breakfast was a long and bountiful affair with George eating non-stop. When Andy told her they would be leaving that morning she was clearly upset thinking she had done something wrong. But Andy explained that the reason was their work had been completed much sooner than anticipated. Then she was happy and made sure George knew that he was welcome anytime he wanted a break.

Andy said to George, “Thanks for your help George. You’re great to work with. A real good job done.” He had paid George the balance plus the extra grand bonus. 

George said, “Been a pleasure. Much easier and better paid work than I’m used to. If you need anything in the future just call me. And by the way my real name’s Percy and it is Smith. Isn’t that a laugh? My dad had a sense of humour or so he said. But just call me George. Everyone does.”

“I’ve ordered a taxi. It can follow us to the car rental place then take us to the station at Honiton. Back by this evening with a bit of luck. It should be here in about half an hour.”

“Whenever,” said George, “I’m all packed and ready to go.”

There was something bothering him but Andy could not put his finger on it so he just waited with George until there was a hoot outside. “Here we go,” Mavis was there standing in the hall, “Thanks Mavis. We’ll remember your place.” Then they were out of the door.

George got in the front and Andy said to the driver, “I’ve got to get a hire car back. The place is on the way so just follow me.” He looked at his Rolex, “Should be able to get to the station by about eleven with luck.”

He opened the hire car door and was about to get in when he stopped, stood still a second. He took off the watch and looked at the back then put it back on, shut the door and went back to the taxi. “Change of plan,” he said. “There’s something I need to get sorted out.” Then said to the taxi driver, “Can you take George to the station and George thanks again and I’ll catch up with you sometime.” He shut the door and the taxi headed off out of town for the thirty minute drive to the station.

Going back inside he said to Mavis, “I’ve forgotten there’s something else I need to sort out while I’m here. I might need to stay another night if that’s OK.”

“You’ve already paid for three more nights so you can stay as many of those as you like. Just let me know if you’ll be wanting breakfast.” Mavis said and walked down the hall into the kitchen.

Andy went into the front room and unpacked his bag enough to get out the package. He put it into his inside jacket pocket then slipped the gun into his right hand jacket pocket. He looked at his watch again and smiled. 11.45 was a good time. He went out of the front door and started towards the car then decided he would walk. It was no more than a thirty minutes walk to The Grand. If they were there he could sort things out. If they weren’t he’d leave a message with his phone number. They would call he was sure of that. What he had to tell them was too important to ignore. He was smiling a big wide one as he crossed the road and was about to turn right to walk down the road that went past the cemetery. This was going to be a shock and there was no mistake about that.  


Eddie had spent until one in the morning getting Gary’s brain in some sort of order. He left him with the promise that Gary would phone his son and have a proper conversation. He was up by seven and ready to go so got into the car, started it up, slammed it into gear and drove the ten minutes or so through quiet streets to The Grand Hotel. 

The girl at reception in a black suit with short cut blond hair had a good morning receptionist smile and a name badge that said Clare, “good morning Mr Hanson,” she said very cheerfully and Eddie wondered how she knew who he was and looked at her with a kind of puzzled look. “You and Mr Dobson are nearly famous. We’ve never had private investigators in the hotel before.” 

Eddie just smiled and nodded. Then said, “Any of the others in our party been down yet?”

“Not yet. Do you want me to call them?”

“No they’ll be here when they're ready and it’s still early.” He wandered off into the lounge and sat at the bar where Neil was just opening up. “You’re up early. You raring to go,” he said

“Not really,” Neil said, “my job’s the special coffee orders this morning. We do the normal breakfast coffee from the kitchen you know in the cafetieres but some people want espresso or cappuccino and they’re made here.”

“You want to have some practice, just give me a double whack of espresso. Stick it on the room.” That squeaky hiss as the pressure builds and the water comes out through the tightly packed coffee then the bar area was filled with the aroma of Italian extra special blend. “I love that smell. First thing in the morning and it’s enough to wake you up. You want one….go on it’s quiet. Special on me. I insist. Anyone complains just say I forced you….I heard about your ruck with Amy. She’s a piece of work is that one. You know she’s got a thing about men and how they take advantage and all that sort of stuff. She hates them coming onto her so that’s the reason she beat you up. Just in case you were curious.”

“I thought as much. But also I take her point. It’s a lesson and I’ve learnt it.”

“Yeah right. Just be a bit more selective is all. A bit more careful. More subtle, that's all you need to be. Take it from a master who knows the ropes. The girls all love me. Make them love you. Work out a subtle charm that’ll knock ‘em dead. You and I've got more in common than you think. How’s the coffee?”

“Good thank you Mr Hanson.”

“You as well, eh. Call me Eddie. I don’t do too well with all this last name stuff. Look out. Talking of trouble here it comes. Look at those two anyone would think they were in love. Thanks for the coffee and remember. Make ‘em love you.”

“Morning and you both look radiant today. Slept well ha ha.”

“I did as it happens. You been filling that guy’s head with all your Casanova stuff?” said Mike.

“Nah, not really just a bit of friendly advice on dealing with the customers. You want coffee. Neil makes a mean espresso.”

Mike looked at Amy. Then said “No we’re good. We’ll wait for breakfast.”

They went to sit and Eddie pulled a chair for Amy. Bent down close and whispered, “OK?” and looked at her and she smiled and said, “yeah….everything’s just OK.” and Eddie knew Mike was in good hands.

Shortly after Jane came in and straight away Eddie said, “breakfast I think, don’t you. I’m starving and that buffet looks real good.”

As they were moving into the breakfast room Eddie said to Mike, “Was I right?”

Mike replied, “Sure. You were right, you've got me over that hurdle.” Then stopped and looked at him with a look that said it all. At that moment Eddie knew that Mike’s dreams would soon be running out of ammunition.

Breakfast took an age and when Eddie got up with his plate he saw Mike looking at him, “What?” he said, “I need chocolate cake and another coffee then I’m done.”

When Eddie got back to the table Mike said, “I’ve been thinking about last night and the things you said about your grandparents. I woke up this morning with a few thoughts. If I read your grandfather's note carefully, I feel I’m reading about two Daves. It’s like there’s a different Dave in the first bit but then he’s talking about himself in the second. It sounds to me like he’s saying the diamonds are buried behind the headstone of the first Dave's grave. Whoever that might be. I would think it’s someone close to him or at least close to your grandmother. What was her father’s name for instance? Do you know?”

Jane said, “I’m sorry I don’t know. Can we find out?”

Mike said, “That shouldn't be too difficult. I’ll try one of those hereditary sites that should do it.” He turned on his phone and searched for a suitable site then paid the fee. He entered Jane’s name and Jane’s mother’s name and a list of records came up. “Says here your grandfather’s name was David Duncan. That must be your grandmother’s maiden name. Says he was killed during the retreat to Dunkirk at the start of the war.”

Jane said, “Why did I not think of doing that?”

Mike said, “Because you did not have reason to. Neither you or anyone else for that matter had made the connection with the two Daves. Easily done.”

“So does it say where he is buried?”

“Nope. We’ve got to work that one out.”

“Maybe it won’t be too difficult. I know my grandmother and her family were religious and went to church regularly. He would’ve been buried locally in those days. Maybe Sidmouth Cemetery that’s the closest.”

“It’s worth a look. Somewhere to start at least. How about we finish up here then head over there. I’ll ask reception where it is.”

Eddie said, “Hang on. Let me do that. There’s a lady there I need to have a word with.”


Just before 11.15 they were all in the car with Eddie driving taking the road out of town to find Sidmouth Cemetery. It took about fifteen minutes to get there. Eddie parked against the kerb almost next to the entrance gate. Getting out Jane said, “if we spread out we can look at all the gravestones. If it's here it’ll probably be dated around the beginning of May 1940. As they went through the gate they did not see Andy Cronin turn the corner and start to walk down the street towards the cemetery.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 9

Chapter 1

Chapter 2