Chapter 14

 

 Walking out of the hotel they said good morning to Henry then strolled down the hill to the seafront and stood a while just looking out to sea. Jane said, “You know I could look at the sea all day long. It’s so kind of mesmerising. Look at those waves just crashing on the beach and the spray off the rocks. The sound. The smell. It never changes. The tide comes in and goes out. The storms come and go. The seasons change but the sea always ends up the same.” She was leaning on the railings with her head thrown back a bit deep breathing filling her lungs with ozone straight off the Atlantic. Her hair wrapped around her face with a sudden breeze and she laughed. Then sighed. Then said, “I just love it.”

Amy looked at her and thought she already knew her so well. She was wrapped up in Jane’s enthusiasm pulled along to be immersed in the same sensations. “I know,” she said, “I know exactly what you mean. This is just the best place to be.” And laughed and that broke the moment because Jane had noticed that Amy rarely laughed.

“When the tide comes in and the wind changes, for good or bad, luck changes.” Jane said.

“What’s that? It sounds like a quote.”

“Just something my mother told me. Apparently it was something my grandfather used to say. He had a thing about the world being built on luck or something. I suppose it is really. Maybe he had a point.”

She touched Amy on the shoulder and said, “Come on, let's walk.”

About halfway along the esplanade they saw the sign, “Derek’s Deckchairs,” with the man in the loud short sleeve shirt and knee length shorts with worn out deck shoes rubbing his face, his straw hat and shades on the covered stack of chairs that he was leaning on with a sun-slap tube in his hand.

“Hello ladies,” he said, “You look cheerful. Fancy a sit down and soaking up some of these lovely rays? Devon rays are the best.” He did not move. Just stood leaning and watching as they approached. 

Amy looked at Jane and said, “Sure. Why not.” Then said with a smile, “Is your name really Derek?” as the man wiped his sun-worn face, the skin a bit tight, put down the slap and pulled out two deck chairs from under the faded green tarp with Derek’s Deckchairs stencilled big and white on the front. 

As he opened the chairs up, setting them back a bit from the esplanade railings, he said, “Bobby Brown. Derek’s my trade name. Bobby Brown Deckchairs doesn’t work, does it?” His face did not move much, just his lips. But he was bobbing about adjusting the chairs. Strong tanned legs almost dancing a jig. He was trim and fit but not too young.

“I don’t know. It would sound a bit classy would Bobby Brown Deckchairs.” said Amy.

He smiled and laughed and said, “This is not a classy job darling. It’s a fresh air and suntan sort of job. Shorts and Hawaiian shirts and roughed up deck shoes. It’s the job to have on a happy day and all days are happy except when it rains. Then trades crap. You look like happy ladies. You have a good time sitting here in the sun….there you go. All set.” And he picked up the sunglasses then the hat and stuck it on and pulled it down to the sunglasses that slipped on the slap on his nose. Then wandered off saying, “You’ve paid for one hour. If you want more just holla. Oh and the sun’s strong today so watch out. If you need any slap use mine.” And he motioned towards the lady two chairs down who looked like she had come straight out of a tin of red pepper soup. “See you can’t tell them.” he said.

“That’s a very laid back guy,” said Jane.

“Yeah, slap’s a great word and so casual. He sounds like if you wind him up he’ll end up a bundle of fun. He called me darling, you hear that? and I normally hate that but you know coming from him it sounded so natural.”

They chatted for a while about nothing in particular then Jane said, “You know I’ve been thinking about those two men you saw. What if they are the ones from the station? Do you think they’re dangerous?”

“I don’t know, they didn’t really seem like they might be. The blond one he looked at me and trapped my eyes. He had a look. Kind of warm and kind. One of those looks that can make you tingle. He’s got something that one has. You know I smiled at him and I don’t ever do that.”

“Sounds like he might have made an impression. So maybe we don’t need to worry,” said Jane.

“I don’t think so but let’s be a bit careful just in case. You don’t think you should take it to the police?”

“Maybe but I’m curious. I’d like to meet these guys first and see what it’s all about. Anyway they wouldn't know I’d handed it over, would they? They’d still find us if that packet does belong to them and we might be worse off. At least if we’ve still got it we can hand it over to get rid of them.”

“That makes sense. So we need to make a plan for when they do….”

“I know….just in case, eh?”

“Yeah just in case. I think if we see them we approach them. That way we can’t be surprised and they’ll maybe get caught off guard a bit.”

“But only in a public place so we’re safe. Like the hotel or a bar.”

“Or on the seafront. Like here with Bobby Brown around.”

“I wouldn’t want to get him into trouble. No, somewhere where there’s a lot of people is good enough.”

Amy said, “Let’s assume that it’s that package they want. I can’t think of anything else after all. In that case they will be back and will probably come to the hotel. That would be the best place to meet them. We would be safe there. I think we should do that. Aim to meet them there. I wish we knew where they were then we could arrange a meeting.”

“But we don’t. If this is important to them which I think it is otherwise why come all the way down here they won’t hang about. How about we just wait around the hotel this afternoon and tomorrow. We can have lunch there. It’s nice weather so we’d not lose out. We’d just be relaxing by the pool anyway. That would give them a chance to find us. Then we see where we end up. If we stay in the public parts of the hotel we should be safe enough. What do you think?”

“I like that. We stay around the hotel until we get this sorted out so let’s hope to get it done as soon as we can. Now let’s enjoy these Devon rays and find out how good they really are.”

Bobby Brown was back and forth to his chair stack then after about an hour when he was picking up a couple of chairs he said, “You two alright? Not burning? How about another hour?”

“No thanks,” said Jane, “We’re off for lunch then an afternoon by the pool. We’re in the Grand and there’s a nice looking pool out the back.”

Bobby said, “Very nice. A good spot. Remember, use some slap or you’ll fry this afternoon it’s going to get hot.”


As they approached the front entrance to the hotel Henry came out from under the shade of the canopy and said, “There were two men here this morning and talked to reception. They came back about an hour later looking suspicious so I had a word with Paul. He said they were asking for you. You need to speak with him when you go in.” 

Jane said, “Thanks Henry. We knew they were here. Amy saw them at reception and heard them ask for me but we did not know they’d come back. We want to talk to them so if they come back we will be here all afternoon and tomorrow. Can you come and find us?”

“if you’re sure it’s OK….oh look. I’ve got to go,” he said as a car pulled up by the door.

The foyer had just two couples in it. One heading towards the stairs and one older couple away from the reception. The man in short blue shorts with white skinny legs and knee length white socks pulled right up and sandals. The leather type with buckles..

Amy said, “That’s not a great look. Why do some old men wear that sort of stuff?”

“Probably from the seventies when shorts were short and socks were long and has just not moved on. Or maybe he just likes it that way.”

“Could be. Either way it’s still not a good look. Come on reception’s free.” 

Standing in front of the reception desk, Jane said, “Hi Paul, Henry said to have a word with you about two men that were looking for me.” 

“That's right. Two men in their forties I would think. They asked for you by name. One of them said he was your brother. They left when I told them you were out. Henry said they came back an hour later so I checked with the staff to find out what they had been doing. They tricked the maid on your floor to let them into your room. I’m really sorry that should not happen. She knows the rules and will be lucky to keep her job. Can you check if anything has been taken and let me know?”

“That’s no problem but I would be surprised if anything has gone. We have an idea what they’re after and it’s in the safe. There’s nothing in the room of any value. I wear all my jewellery and I’ve got my phone with me. Please don’t dismiss the maid on my account.”

“That’s a kind thought but unfortunately that will be up to the management team but I will let them know. Are you unhappy with her?”

“Well a bit I suppose but I’m sure she won’t be fooled again. Like I said there’s nothing to steal and I have a feeling these two are professional at whatever it is they do. We need to talk to them. They will be back most likely tomorrow morning. We will be staying in tomorrow hoping to meet them so can you find us if you see them? We have asked Henry to do the same if that’s OK.” 

“Do you want us to call the police?”

“No, I don't think that will be necessary at the moment. I am confident we can handle this.”

“Well if you’re sure. Just in case they appear, where will you be this afternoon?”

“By the pool. We’ve been told Devon sun is the best in the world.”

“You’ve not been sitting on deck chairs have you?” And Jane just smiled.

Amy said, “So that worked out quite well, didn’t it? All we’ve got to do now is just wait and see. What do you think? Lunch, then upstairs to change then the pool?”

“Perfect,” replied Jane with a big smile that said she was quite liking Amy’s company.


Up in her room after lunch Amy was sitting on the bed. Pulling the envelope with Lucy written on the front out of her bag she took out the note from Dave Somerton and read it. It still made no sense. Then she read the letter from her grandmother and thought about it and the history and the effort she had made to find Jane. She had intended to remain anonymous but now found that she really liked Jane and that surprised her. She had trouble liking most people. There was something there. A shared past that could not be ignored maybe. Now she was confused and feeling guilty. She made a decision and put the letter and note back into the envelope and put it in her bag. She then took from the bottom of her luggage bag another envelope and put that in her bag as well. Changing into a loose white dress, one of those shimmering cotton ones that were almost see through with her bikini underneath she picked up the bag, went out the door and knocked for Jane.

Jane said, “Nothing’s missing and there’s no real indication anyone has been in. I think things on the dressing table have been moved a bit but the maid could have done that.  So I’ll tell Paul on the way down.” Heading down to the pool and sun loungers facing the best sun in the world Amy was a bit apprehensive about the afternoon and how the conversation she was determined to have with Jane would end up.


Around five the sun was weakening and Amy said, “Do you fancy a drink?”

Jane said, “Good idea what do you think? Exotic or something boring?”

“I think it’s a martini time of day and a good stiff one. Shall I go and get Martinis sent out?”

“Sure. That sounds perfect.” said Jane

Amy put on her cotton dress and disappeared. Then came back being followed by Neil with a tray. “Look who I found,” she said.

“Hi Neil,” said Jane, “have you recovered?”

“Recovered?” replied Neil.

“Yes from this morning’s beating up Amy gave you.”

“Oh that. I see what you mean. Yes I have thank you. Two Martinis and extra stiff with extra olives. Oh and nuts.” he said.

Moving to a patio table in the full sun with the umbrella down Amy said, “That was a nice afternoon.” Then went quiet looking at her drink and fiddling with the stem of the cocktail glass.

“Something wrong?” said Jane. 

“There’s something I’ve got to tell you and I don’t quite know how.”

“Well I’ve always found the best way is to just come right on out with it.”

“OK then. Here goes but first you should read this,” and she gave Jane the envelope with Lucy written on the front, “Then you need to look at this.” And gave her the other envelope.

Jane looked at the name on the front and immediately recognised the handwriting, “Where did you get this?”

“From my mother who got it from my grandmother. The letter is from my grandmother to my mother.” And Jane just looked at Amy then slightly nodding opened the envelope and read the note. 

“This is the same as my grandmother's.” and all Amy could do was nod. She felt tears in her eyes and that was not something she had not been expecting.

Jane carefully took out the letter and read it through twice each time letting out a small sigh with her hand over her mouth. “This explains everything. Even my grandmother’s wedding and Frank and Lucy splitting up for a bit. What’s in the other envelope?”

“My mother’s birth certificate.” Jane took it out and Amy said, “you’ll see her name is registered as Warren-Anderson. The letter says my grandmother did this out of respect for my grandfather after he was killed on D day. They were not married and my grandfather did not know my grandmother was pregnant. My full name is Amy Warren-Anderson.”

Jane was quiet for quite a few minutes. She played with the letter and read the note again. Then put everything back in their envelopes and said, “Why did you not just tell me. You could have come to my flat and told me before we came here. Why this deception?”

Amy’s face showed the tears now. Her voice was shaking as she said, “Oh I don’t know….I’ve asked myself the same question over and over. I just think I’m not that confident a person anymore. I struggle with some things. I did not know how you would react and I suppose I didn’t want any trouble. I knew about you and it took a while to track you down but….,” she took a big sigh and tears rolled down her cheeks and she let out a kind of stuttering breath…. “When I found you….well I didn’t know what to do and that’s it so I just followed you and hoped it would all work out somehow and now I’ve found out I….I really like you and….oh I’m so sorry I wish I had told you but….” and she just sat and sobbed then muttered almost under her breath, “please don’t be too cross.”

Jane leant across the table and took hold of Amy’s hand and said in a quiet voice, “I can’t be cross with you. I really like you as well. Besides this is a shared thing. Dave and Frank were crooks. There's no other word to describe them. But they were partners and if anything happened to them the diamonds were left to my grandmother and your grandmother. That makes us partners as well. You’re just as entitled as I am. Please, I want to be friends.”

And Amy just nodded and rubbed her hand across her face. Tried to smile but that came out weak so she said, “I need another drink real bad.”

“Me too. Where’s Neil when you need him?”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 9

Chapter 1

Chapter 2